United States Fiancé Visa
Expedite the green card process by obtaining a United States fiancé visa. Being married to someone in the United States does not automatically provide you with permanent residence. There is still an application process that must be followed to obtain your green card. Individuals who are engaged to United States citizens but not yet married can go through the fiancé visa process so that they can live and work in the United States prior to becoming married. Turn to Pilkington Immigration Law Firm - Calgary, AB, to learn more about the process and whether or not you are eligible.
What is a United States Fiancé Visa?
Fiancé visas are a convenient way for a fiancé of a United States citizen to facilitate their immigration to the United States faster. The application process for a green card can take six months to a year or even longer. It makes it possible to obtain a work permit while living with their spouse in the United States while they await their green card processing.
Fiancé Visa to the United States Requirements
As with any visa, the application comes with specific requirements to receive approval on the application. The basic requirements are as follows:
- The fiancé visa first requires that the United States citizen and their foreign fiancé have the intention to marry.
- From there, they must agree to do so within ninety days of the foreign fiancé entering the United States on the fiancé visa.
- Once inside the United States, the fiancé is required to file an adjustment of status application to a green card and initiate the process of becoming a permanent resident within ninety days. Proof of the marriage will be required at that time.
- There is also a requirement that they have physically met within two years of filing the application.
- As with any family sponsorship, it is important to document the genuine and bonafide nature of the relationship through photographs, affidavits from friends and family, as well as all evidence of correspondence.
The Benefits of Using a United States Fiancé Visa
Although times vary through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as well as the Consulates which conduct visa interviews, a fiancé visa is generally more expeditious than applying for a green card through a spouse from abroad. This enables you and your spouse to remain together while the green card application is being verified.
Contact Pilkington Immigration Law Firm - Calgary, AB
Your path to immigrating to the United States will become manageable with the attorneys at Pilkington on your side. Contact us today for an appointment to receive more information about the steps to receive a fiancé visa to the United States. We are available to answer your questions and address your concerns.
Request an Appointment
Monday to Friday
9:00 to 5:00 by appointment